Tuesday, May 28, 2013

After pouring over nonstop Shel Silverstein, Lewis Carroll, and Dr. Suess I've decided to dedicate how ever many moons I may need to writing the most awesome sauce kids' book. It won't be anything too fancy, most likely a random collection of shorts and doodles (like my hero Mr. Silverstein) but I most certainly want to make sure this book serves a purpose. Uplifting creativity while educating the wee ones has been my goal since day one of art school, but now that I'm out adventuring the wilds of Los Angeles, I need a way to stay relevant to my aspirations and this book may just do that. Character development has already begun and I do believe my concept is pretty legit. I can't wait to bring this book to life!!

In addition to this book of mines, I've been thinking a lot about my creative future. I most certainly intend on graduating from CCS (go peacocks!!!) and I definitely intend on receiving my teaching certification, but most of all I want to open a business. Perhaps I've mentioned it before...

I want a place where kids can come and find inspiration to achieve whatever it is they desire. My goals and dreams began within imagination, dreaming of exploring the world, reading books, creating things the way I saw it in my mind-  it shaped who I am. Sadly there are a ton of kids who are not exposed to the notion of imagination. I see more kids playing on their parents' cell phones than I do outside, enjoying the sunshine. Even in the school systems, administration are starting to lose sight of the creative needs of children. With the STEM curriculum powerhousing academia I'm sure the world is going to see some incredibly smart mathematicians, engineers, and scientists... but what about literary masters and creative geniuses... do they not play a substantial part in the development of, well, THE WORLD?!

An engineer may have programmed the computer your reading this from, but an artist designed it. As well as the chair you're sitting in, and the shirt you're wearing. Every element of a child's education is essential to their development, art AND imagination included.

Ok done ranting for now, I've got some inspiration to go gather.

No comments:

Post a Comment